Native American individuals, organizations, and governments, including tribal entities, Indian tribes, and Native American-run businesses, often face a number of unique legal challenges. If your tribal rights have been violated, you need an experienced attorney on your side proficient in tribal law representation. At Parnall & Adams Law, we have extensive experience in the specialized area of Native American and tribal laws. Our attorneys serve the New Mexico area with reputable, professional legal services.
Parnall & Adams Law recognizes the unique situation that each tribal client deals with. We are also aware of the differences in tribal communities in terms of tradition, culture, and social and economic history. To best serve our clients, we take these elements into consideration when addressing each case that we take on.
Common Areas of Tribal Law We Handle
The attorneys at Parnall & Adams Law are equipped to handle all types of tribal cases. The most common areas of tribal law we have dealt with include:
- Jurisdictional Issues – Our practice has experience defending tribal sovereignty and jurisdiction from encroachment. We have handled a wide range of jurisdictional issues and are adept to deal with litigation, tax issues, intergovernmental agreements, and similar problems that may arise.
- Land Issues – Opportunities to do business on tribal lands has increased significantly in recent years. With this increase, land issues have risen resulting in the need for tribal law representation. Our attorneys can address a wide range of land issues concerning determination of boundaries and reservations owned by tribal nations.
- Tribal Courts – In New Mexico, many tribes possess their own court systems which carry unique regulations. Our attorneys at Parnall & Adams Law are permitted to argue tribal law in these courts and provide professional representation for clients who have had their rights violated under the law.
- 638 Contract Issues – Under the Department of Health and Human Services, the Indian Health Service (IHS) is the main provider of health care to tribes. Contracts allow tribe members to receive funds that IHS would have used to provide direct health services. Unfortunately, problems can occur and tribes may not receive the money they are entitled to. Our attorneys can help with various 638 contact issues.
- Employee and Personal Issues – Our extensive knowledge of tribal law provides us with a unique advantage in addressing laws that affect employment and personal issues. Part of our tribal law practice focuses on ensuring that our clients are receiving sound human resource practices to prevent workplace issues.
- Insurance Issues – Insurance policies can be complicated and issues can develop that make it difficult to get claims paid. The attorneys at Parnall & Adams Law can assist our clients with unique problems involving insurance policies or existing claims.
- Compliance Issues – When tribes enter into agreements with state or county governments, they must carefully negotiate the terms to ensure that the agreement is created in a way that respects the traditions and customs of the tribe. Our attorneys can ensure this happens while remaining in compliance with state and federal laws.
Importance of Hiring an Attorney
When faced with any type of tribal legal issue, it is important to have an attorney by your side that is experienced in many areas of tribal law. At Parnall & Adams Law, we are proud to provide our clients with sound legal advice, litigation, and representation in a wide range of areas. From casino management to issues with land or jurisdictions, we have the knowledge required to help guide you through any type of challenging situation.
Parnall & Adams Law Representation
Parnall & Adams Law represent clients in state, federal, and tribal courts. Over the years, we have dealt with countless tribal issues, such as disputes regarding natural resource development agreements, business leases, taxation, right-of-way acquisition, tribal employment rights ordinances, and much more. We are also well versed in the various laws that govern local tribes, as well as what tribes reside in New Mexico and their unique traditions and culture.
Our tribal law attorneys deal with both litigation and transactional matters, and have helped numerous clients with matters like business agreements, realty transaction disputes, energy transactions, governmental affairs, tribal code drafting, and disputes with the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Unless you have extensive experience practicing law, it can be difficult to navigate this legal area alone. If you believe that your legal tribal rights have been violated, acquire the assistance of an experienced tribal law attorney at Parnall & Adams Law.